Back End Engineer
Creative Commons is building a “front door” to the commons from the ground up. We need a talented team of engineers to design and build systems to index over 1.2 billion works into a ledger that will fuel the usable and vibrant commons, enable new research, and foster discovery and collaboration.
This project will unite billions of records for openly-licensed and public domain works and metadata, across multiple platforms, diverse media types, and a variety of user communities and partners. It’s a difficult but rewarding problem for an inspired and creative team. We want to build this product with a small dev team as part of an open community, and create something useful, delightful, and essential to the work of creators, educators, scientists, cultural institutions, and our partners. We’re building shared infrastructure for the global commons.
You can read about our previous efforts so far here, here and here.
As our back end engineer you can be part of this exciting project in an early stage. You will help design, build, test, and release our software infrastructure, and collaborate with users, contributors, and partners around the world. Imagine all the possibilities.
This is a rare opportunity to collaborate in an organization that is fundamental to sharing online, working at a global scale. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in this high-priority project.
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are VERY welcome.
The back end engineer reports to the Director of Product Engineering and will architect, implement, test, and monitor our technical infrastructure that support our efforts to make the commons more accessible and usable for our global users and partners.
The back end engineer is responsible for:
- Architecting and maintaining our servers platform to support our products and interoperate with our partners
- Building robust and scalable software using a variety of programming languages.
- Collaborating with front end and data engineers to integrate data and human-facing elements with server side logic
- Improving our code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews
- Maintaining our data’ flow and help implement new data pipelines
- Working in the open, contributing code and engaging in public repositories, open chat rooms, and public wiki with our global community
- Provide technical opinions within various open communities, working with CC partners.
- Collaborate with other outside communities, companies, and institutions to further Creative Commons’ mission
Qualifications and requirements
- Ample experience designing, developing, testing and deploying services in the cloud (AWS). You can show us your code, and tell us how you built and iterated on it.
- Demonstrated experience building robust, scalable software using Java or Python. Scala a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of current software development methodologies and best practices
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- Familiarity with content and data licensing a plus, but not required
- Desire to work in a diverse, global, open, and highly collaborative team environment