Front End Engineer
Creative Commons is building a “front door” to the commons from the ground up. We need a talented team of engineers to design and build systems to index over 1.2 billion works into a catalog that will fuel a usable and vibrant commons, enable new research and services, and foster discovery and collaboration.
This project will unite billions of records for openly-licensed and public domain works and metadata, across multiple platforms, diverse media types, and a variety of user communities and partners. It’s a difficult but rewarding problem for an inspired and creative team. We want to build this product with a small dev team as part of an open community, and create something useful, delightful, and essential to the work of creators, educators, scientists, cultural institutions, and our partners. We’re building shared infrastructure for the global commons.
You can read about our previous efforts here, here and here.
As our front end engineer you can be part of this exciting project in an early stage. You will help design, build, test, and release our software infrastructure, and collaborate with users, contributors, and partners around the world. Imagine all the possibilities!
This is a rare opportunity to collaborate in an organization that is fundamental to sharing online, working at a global scale. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in this high-priority project.
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are VERY welcome.
The front end engineer reports to the Director of Product Engineering and will ideate, design and implement great experiences and interfaces for our global users and partners.
The front end engineer is responsible for:
- Providing an usable, human-centered, accessible perspective to our code and products
- Designing, testing and building user interfaces and experiences that will make the commons more accessible and usable.
- Working in the open, contributing code and engaging in public repositories, open chat rooms, and public wiki with our global community
- Provide technical opinions within various open communities, working with CC partners.
- Collaborate with other outside communities, companies, and institutions to further Creative Commons’ mission.
Qualifications and requirements
- Keen eye for designing usable and accessible and delightful human-facing interfaces and user experiences. You’ve done user testing, and have experience designing and coding user interfaces for consumer-grade tools.
- Able to seamlessly design or modify graphic elements and implement them in code
- Familiarity with content and data licensing a plus, but not required
- Desire to work in a diverse, global, open, and highly collaborative team environment