Core JVM and Systems Engineer
Elastic — Company based in Mountain View, CA
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Do you want to work on distributed search and analytics software which impacts the lives of millions of people? We are looking for extraordinary Java engineers who love solving problems. We’re not interested in your previous job title. Instead, we are looking for bright people with a deep knowledge of Java and a desire to take on new challenges.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on absolutely anything, regardless of their role within the company.
Right now, we want to add a talented Core JVM and Systems Engineer to join our Elasticsearch team and focusing on the core infrastructure of Elasticsearch.
What you will be doing
- Evolving the core infrastructure for Elasticsearch (e.g., the networking layer)
- Optimizing internal data structures used within Elasticsearch
- Develop new user-facing features
- Investigate performance and concurrency issues
- Collaborating in open source with the ES team and the Elastic Stack users
- Supporting our support engineers with the harder problems
What you will bring along
- Strong on Java in general
- Solid understanding of JVM internals including garbage collection, the memory model, etc.
- Follows the JDK mailing list
- Knowledge of internals of operating systems (including how filesystems and networks work)
- Experience deploying and operationalizing software in production
- Knowledge of packaging (like RPM / Debian)
- Strong shell skills
- Build system experience (e.g., Gradle)
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.