Full Time: Experienced Software Engineer
Loco2 — Company based in London
Loco2's mission is to make booking trains anywhere in Europe as easy and affordable as possible, from epic international adventures to everyday local commutes. Our booking coverage is unrivalled and growing.
We’re hiring two experienced software engineers to join our existing team of six, where you’ll help rebuild the front-end of our Ruby on Rails website into a modern single-page application.
We're a small team of committed individuals, dedicated to building excellent technology. Our users are at the centre of what we do, and we're proud to have an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 on Trustpilot after 22,000 reviews.
We’ve been selling tickets since 2012 (read our full story here), and we’re growing rapidly as the business matures. Our goal is to scale effectively whilst continuing to delight our users.
Why join us?
- We have high codings standards, and follow best practices such as continuous testing and delivery
- We’re not afraid to change and learn in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves
- We offer flexible hours and encourage working when you’re most productive
- We have a well-designed remote working culture, using tools like Slack, Trello, GitHub and Basecamp to communicate
- We have a small team so your voice will be heard
- We encourage a healthy work-life balance and don’t think caffeine-fuelled all-nighters are a good way to grow a company that’s built to last
Tech stack and role description
Our current software stack consists of:
- A Ruby library for communicating with train booking APIs
- A traditional multi-page web application written in Ruby on Rails, using CoffeeScript and SCSS
- AWS hosted Docker infrastructure, with continuous delivery
- A hybrid iOS app written in Swift
- A hybrid Android app written in Kotlin
We’re transitioning our traditional multi-page application to a React-powered single-page application so our customers can enjoy a fast, reliable and consistent experience across all of their devices.
This role is focused on that challenge, working with experienced members of our existing team to help us separate concerns and scale effectively without succumbing to the potential pitfalls of a microservices approach.
An ideal candidate:
- Has 3+ years of professional programming experience
- Is fluent in English and confident communicating complex technical information
- Is motivated by the technical challenges described above
- Thinks independently and critically, striving to discover the root causes of problems rather than treating the symptoms
- Actively considers future maintainability when deciding how to implement something
- Learns quickly and independently, but doesn't hesitate to ask for help when needed
- Can work hours that have at least some overlap with London daytime
- Is motivated by Loco2's mission