Production Engineering Lead
Shopify — Company based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Production Engineering at Shopify encompasses the disciplines of Site Reliability Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Developer Productivity. This department ensures that Shopify’s infrastructure is able to take us to massive scale with amazing performance, while spoiling our developers with world-class tooling.
In this role, you’ll be part of the Service Patterns group: deliver the software patterns to build services at scale. We’re extracting all the lessons we’ve learned about scaling Shopify on the application-side and providing them for all developers. As we continue to grow we refuse to slow down. Through world-class tooling we want to make development at scale faster, not slower.
As part of the Service Patterns group, Service Communication is in charge of providing fast, reliable, consistent communication between services in Ruby, Go, Python, and other languages. We’re seeing the number of services built internally roughly doubling every year. This team will be in charge of the RPC framework, resiliency, and the service proxy layer. You will be joining an existing team equipped with strong developers, emerging into a role to manage the people on the team and growing it. We expect from all our managers strong technical expertise, to help guide the team’s technical direction.
Some of the things you may take charge of:
- Evolve our RPC framework. How do services talk to each other? How do we make it fast? How do we handle versioning? gRPC, GraphQL, or REST? How do we handle caching?
- Take our resiliency stack to the next level. Today, we’re using Toxiproxy and Semian, we need to adopt Chaos Engineering in production and ensure that all critical calls across services have fallbacks.
- Deciding on a service mesh such as Linkerd, Envoy, or Nginx, deploying it to production for 100s of services, and consolidating it with the RPC and Resiliency layer.
- Educate the organization about RPC, resiliency, and tracing in an increasingly distributed system.
- How do you find out which services are available in the company? How do you ensure they’re documented? How can we analyze the service graph for insidious architectural patterns?
What you’ll need to have to tackle this role:
- Experience in infrastructure and systems architecture
- Experience in leading engineering-heavy teams
- Desire to build tools for people who build products, your customers are both developers (through tools) and merchants (through the reliability achieved with these tools)
- Equally excited about leading projects, people, and writing code
It’d be pretty cool if you have:
- Experience with Ruby (on Rails)
- Relational database chops (especially MySQL)
- Experience with Go
- Experience working at large scale already
- Experience with chaos and resiliency engineering (e.g. Toxiproxy, Chaos Monkey, ..)
- Designed APIs consumed by developers before and care deeply about designing pleasurable APIs
- Experience leading cross functional teams
Who you’ll be working with
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media such as Pinterest and Facebook, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business.
The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, using enterprise-level technology made available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify currently powers over 200,000 businesses in approximately 150 countries, including: Tesla Motors, Budweiser, Wikipedia, LA Lakers, the New York Stock Exchange, GoldieBlox, and many more.
Your personal growth is important to us, and we’ll give you everything you need to make it happen: learning budgets, mentorship opportunities, one-on-one coaching, skill development workshops, you name it. We encourage you to experiment, take risks, and pursue the things you care about. And if you make a mistake? That’s ok – learn from it, and share your experience with the team.
We hope you’ll love it here, but we also know that it’s not all about work. We’ll help you maintain a healthy balance with a gym allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most.
We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, and the chance to work with some of the best in the business.