Senior DevOps Engineer
Teaching.com — Company based in San Juan, PR
Join the team at Teaching.com to create, develop, and deliver fun and engaging software for educators and students!
Who We Are & What We Do
We’re working to change the future of online education by building exciting products that equip students and teachers with the tools to succeed in the classroom and beyond. Our team is hungry to learn and improve—both when it comes to our products and ourselves. We’re a small, hard-working group of self-starters who are passionate about what we do and constantly seeking new ways we can be better, together.
As a team member at Teaching.com, you’ll get to work on popular products like Typing.com, the world’s largest typing software, and Nitro Type, the #1 educational game in the world. Everyone at Teaching.com is empowered to move quickly, make decisions, and get things done so we can continue to make learning accessible to our growing community of more than 40 million students and teachers around the world.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
We’re looking for a team-oriented DevOps engineer with strong strategy, planning, and leadership skills who’s passionate about systems architecture and operations. As the bridge between development and operations, you will work across teams to lead the creation of DevOps solutions that will scale to keep up with our rapid growth.
This is a remote-based position.
- Work alongside engineering teams to design and implement AWS solutions for infrastructure for deployment, monitoring, alerting, data storage, and security
- Evaluate new tools and technologies based on current and future feature requirements, performance, cost effectiveness, and reliability
- Review existing infrastructure with a fresh perspective to suggest improvements and optimizations
- Contribute to best practices, create diagrams and documentation where appropriate, and participate in standups with the engineering team
- Collaborate with the engineering team to define strategy and technical infrastructure roadmap, and drive the rapid implementation of appropriate technologies
- Define and report on performance KPI
Skills & Background
- Extensive AWS cloud experience (EC2, ELB, ECS, VPC, IAM, RDS, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, etc.)
- AWS Certification preferred but not essential: SysOps and/or Solutions Architect ideal
- Demonstrable expertise in managing AWS-based infrastructure
- Experience with DevOps and automation: Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Configuration Management, CloudFormation, Salt, Ansible, Jenkins, Chef, Puppet, CircleCI, etc.
- Experience with Docker tooling and ecosystem
- Experience with Git version control system
- Experience using Packer to create identical machine images across multiple platforms
- Operating systems: experience supporting mission-critical platforms, both physical and virtualized environments, using Vagrant as well as CentOS and AWS Linux distributions
- Experience using Terraform to build, change, and version infrastructure
- Experience managing serverless infrastructures using AWS CloudFront, API Gateway, Lambda, S3, etc.
- Solid working knowledge of cloud computing architectures, networking topologies, and clustering techniques
- Web servers: advanced experience with Nginx
- Data platforms: MySQL/RDS and NoSQL databases
- Strong scripting and automation skills (e.g., Bash, Python, Ruby)
- Expertise with application performance monitoring tools such as AppDynamics, NewRelic, and open source alternatives
- Organization/ticketing systems: JIRA, Redmine, or similar tool
- Self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and spoken
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare benefits
- Unlimited paid time off
- Remote office stipend and hardware assistance
- Flexible office hours
- Annual conference allowance
- Annual company retreat
Sorry, we will not transfer or sponsor visas. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.