Senior Front-End Engineer
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of brands includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Our engineering team is dedicated to cross-disciplinary product thinking and product vision, prizes thoughtful and collaborative work, and is a remote-first organization. For more on the things we’re building and problems we’re solving, and what it’s like to work on the Vox Product, Design and Technology Team, see our Product Team blog.
About the Video Products Team
The work of video producers, creators and distributors at Vox Media today cannot effectively be conducted by tools designed for a media landscape of ten years ago. You can no longer assume anything about the way visitors are viewing your videos, where users encounter them, or what other shapes these videos might take. At the same time, creators deserve tools that make the process of reporting, writing, editing, and producing videos easier and more approachable.
Vox Media’s Video Products team designs and engineers innovative new tools that facilitate the work of creators and producers—so they can tell better stories, more easily, to devoted audiences wherever they might be.
We’re looking for teammates to help build the custom video platform which allows our brands to upload videos and syndicate them all over the internet, and also build our user-facing features that power our high-impact in-house advertising and consumer-facing video player.
About The Role
As part of our team, you will:
- Lead the development of the next generation of Volume, our in-house video content management and distribution system, as a single-page web application
- Support video integration on Hymnal, our in-house advertising authoring and publishing platform
- Develop and extend the ways in which we monetize video on our publishing platforms across the internet
- Help us develop online video platform independence
Hopefully you are a human who is friendly, thoughtful, loves to solve problems on a team, and have:
- Passion for online video platforms and distribution
- Comfort with HTML, CSS and web components
- Experience posting to and consuming data from an API
- Some familiarity with user experience design
- A commitment to user-centered design, web standards, front-end performance, usability, and accessibility
- Prior experience with online video is a nice-to-have
- Can communicate and collaborate well within a highly distributed team
- Are a self-starter who can take a challenging task and run with it
- Care deeply about the quality of your work
- Take a pragmatic and thoughtful approach to solving problems
- Have empathy for users and teammates
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.